Just upstream of the Corrib Rowing & Yacht Club clubhouse are the remains of the viaduct that carried the Galway to Clifden Railway over the Corrib.
The Galway to Clifden railway line opened on July 1st 1895. Built by Midland Great Western Railway Company (MGWR), the line had stations at Moycullen, Oughterard, Maam Cross, Recess and Ballynahinch.
It consisted of 30 bridges including a steel viaduct over the River Corrib in Galway.
The last service departed from Clifden in April 1935.
Although the Corrib is one of Ireland's shortest rivers, it has a mean long-term flow rate of 104.8 m3/s, making it Ireland's second-largest river (by flow), only surpassed by the River Shannon.